Rhinoplasty Recovery Guide
“What is the recovery like after rhinoplasty?” is one of the first questions many patients ask rhinoplasty expert, Dr. Babak Azizzadeh, in Beverly Hills.
To many patients’ delight, rhinoplasty recovery is often much easier than they ever imagined!
First, Dr. Azizzadeh explains that every patient heals differently and the healing process can vary based on the extent of surgery needed. Before you even undergo surgery, there are a few things you can do to prepare your body to heal at its optimal level including avoiding seafood and discontinuing the use of vitamins or supplements 2 weeks prior to surgery.
On average, the initial recovery for rhinoplasty takes about 7 to 10 days. At this point most patients are able to return to work or school and resume their normal social life.
At around 3 to 4 weeks, the patient will be ready to show off their new nose at a big event (such as a wedding, red carpet event, high school reunion, etc.).
Rhinoplasty Recovery Day by Day
The first day of recovery is the most uncomfortable – medication will be prescribed to help manage the pain. You should apply a cold compress to your nose on an hourly basis when awake for the first 72 hours following surgery.
After 3 days, most of the pain will be gone and your comfort level will improve dramatically. Many patients say that the first few days of recovery are not as much painful as they are uncomfortable. The most common types of discomfort felt include dull aching, headaches, and congestion.
Your bandages or nose cast will be removed 7 days after rhinoplasty surgery. Once the bandages/cast are removed, most patients feel comfortable and confident enough to go back to work or school and resume their daily routine. However, many patients are feeling great before the cast is removed and go back to their regular daily activities then.
Although you can resume daily activities 1 week following surgery, you need to continue to limit your physical activity for up to 4 weeks. We recommend getting clearance from Dr. Azizzadeh to resume your regular workout routine, but some general guidelines include:
- Do not bend down with your head forward for 2 weeks following surgery.
- No heavy exercise or yoga for 3 weeks following surgery.
- No heavy lifting of 10 pounds for 4 weeks following surgery.
Bruising and Swelling After Rhinoplasty
The extent of swelling and bruising depends on your body and what was done to the nose. For most patients, the bruising dissipates around the 7-day mark. We advise most of our patients to take Arnica Forte supplements to help speed up the recovery process so that your bruising and swelling go away quicker. This is our preferred treatment for swelling and bruising because it is the only product that combines Arnica Montana and Bromelain. You should start taking the pills the morning of surgery and continue for 6 days after surgery. Arnica Forte can ber purchased out our office during your pre-op appointment.
The longest component of rhinoplasty recovery is the swelling. At about 3 to 4 weeks, approximately 70% of the swelling is gone and you can begin to appreciate your new nose more and more.
At 6 weeks, about 80% to 85% of the swelling has gone down.
Typically, at 2 years post surgery you will see the final results of your rhinoplasty, although the nose will finish its primary healing in the first few months. Dr. Azizzadeh tells his patients from the beginning that they must be very patient during the rhinoplasty recovery process.
As mentioned before, the extent of recovery varies based on the type of rhinoplasty performed. Every patient’s needs are unique; therefore the amount of bone manipulation as well as the amount of work done on the internal structures is different for each patient. During your consultation with Dr. Azizzadeh, after he examines your nose and determines the best surgical plan, he will be able to give you a better idea of exactly what to expect during your recovery.
Dr. Azizzadeh is a Harvard trained facial plastic surgeon and is recognized internationally for his expertise rhinoplasty. As such, he always uses the most advanced and minimally invasive surgical techniques. His cutting approach to rhinoplasty provides not only beautiful and natural looking results, but also yields a quicker and easier recovery process.
Tips To Improve Your Rhinoplasty Recovery
Below are some recommendations to help improve your rhinoplasty recovery experience.
- Follow all of Dr. Azizzadeh’s pre-rhinoplasty instructions very carefully. We will provide you with Rhinoplasty Guidelines at your pre-op appointment.
- Fill any prescriptions and buy any recovery supplies you need prior to your surgery. We will give you your prescriptions and recommend other recovery supplies at your pre-op appointment.
- Follow all of Dr. Azizzadeh’s post-rhinoplasty instructions completely and carefully. We will provide you with Rhinoplasty Guidelines at your pre-op appointment.
- Have a friend or family member stay with you for the first 24 hours following surgery. Some patients opt to stay at an after care facility.
- Make it to all follow-up appointments with Dr. Azizzadeh. Even if you think you feel fine, it is still very important to see Dr. Azizzadeh for all follow-up appointments so he can examine you and make sure everything is healing properly.
- Be very open and honest with Dr. Azizzadeh about how you are feeling. If something does not feel right, do not hesitate to contact our office.
- Be patient during the recovery process. We know it can be frustrating while you are waiting for the bruising and swelling to go down, but it will! And once it does, you will know it was worth the wait.
Learn More About Rhinoplasty with Dr. Azizzadeh
If you have been considering a rhinoplasty, contact the CENTER for Advanced Facial Plastic Surgery in Beverly Hills to schedule a consultation with Dr. Azizzadeh. We offer phone and Skype consultations for out-of-town patients.