If you were undergoing an angioplasty or a knee replacement, you’d want to know everything possible about the procedure beforehand in order to be prepared for surgery. The same is true for rhinoplasty.
A nose job can dramatically change the look of your face, whether the surgery is done for cosmetic or medical reasons. Because of that—and because you’d want to avoid having another surgery to fix the first rhinoplasty if anything goes wrong—you should ideally know as much as possible about the procedure—and about the surgeon who will be performing it. A qualified facial plastic surgeon will offer to meet you during an initial consultation to talk about rhinoplasty and whether you are considered an ideal candidate for the procedure, but you should speak up, too, and ask the following questions:
About the Rhinoplasty Surgeon
- Are they board-certified, and which institution issued the certification?
- How many years have they been practicing?
- Where do they perform their rhinoplasties? Do they have privileges at local hospitals or if the procedures are done at a surgical center, is it accredited?
- How many rhinoplasties have they performed? Do they have a specialization, such as working with teens or nasal reconstruction?
- Where did they complete their medical training?
- Do they have before-and-after photos so you can review their work?
About the Rhinoplasty Surgery
- What techniques will be used during the rhinoplasty? Are any of them minimally invasive?
- How long will the rhinoplasty take?
- What precautions need to be taken prior to the rhinoplasty?
- What plans need to be made for after-care? When will follow-up appointments be scheduled and is there an aftercare facility the surgeon is affiliated with, if needed?
- What are the risks involved? What happens if something goes wrong?
- How long will the swelling last?
- How long is the recovery period? How long until regular activity can resume?
- Is there technology available to see what the new nose would look like prior to rhinoplasty?
- What kind of anesthesia is used for the procedure?
- What is the cost of the rhinoplasty (including appointment fees and other charges)?
- What steps can be taken if the rhinoplasty doesn’t produce the desired results? Does the surgeon perform revisions?
- What is the surgeon’s approach to patient care and facial aesthetics?
- How can post-surgical pain be treated?
A knowledgeable facial plastic surgeon shouldn’t hesitate to answer questions about their credentials, and should be able to give you thorough answers to queries about the rhinoplasty procedure. These answers should give you confidence in their abilities and put your mind at ease about the upcoming surgery. An informed patient is an empowered patient.