What Does Male Botox® Do for the Face? The Benefits of “Brotox”
Male Botox®, aka “Brotox,” is quickly becoming a top facial rejuvenation treatment for men. To better understand why this is the case, let’s examine male Botox® and how it enhances a man’s facial appearance.
What Is Male Botox®?
Male Botox® is used to treat fine lines, wrinkles and furrows in the face. It reduces excess muscle movements in the face, and in doing so, prevents these muscle movements from causing visible signs of aging in the face.
A typical male Botox® procedure requires only minutes to complete, and Botox® results become visible just days after treatment. During a male Botox® procedure, Botox® is injected into different parts of a man’s face. Each Botox® treatment is customized to a patient’s face, and as such, different amounts of Botox® are used depending on the patient.
Male Botox® side effects are usually minimal. Common side effects associated with male Botox® include:
- Stinging: Men sometimes experience a stinging sensation at the treatment site; this sensation only lasts for about 10 to 15 minutes after a male Botox® procedure.
- Swelling and Tenderness: Swelling and tenderness at the Botox® injection site may persist for a few days after a male Botox® procedure.
- Redness: Redness may occur at the treatment site, but it often disappears within a few days of a male Botox® procedure.
The results of male Botox® may last up to six months. Meanwhile, men can schedule periodic Botox® injections to accomplish their facial rejuvenation goals.
Why Do Men Undergo Botox® Treatments?
Male Botox® is available for both cosmetic and non-cosmetic applications. In some instances, men undergo male Botox® to address the following cosmetic issues:
- Crow’s feet
- Frown lines
- Bunny lines (wrinkles that form on top of the nose)
- Forehead creases
- Gummy smile
Comparatively, male Botox® may be used for non-cosmetic applications, including:
- Hyperhidrosis: Botox® has been shown to treat hyperhidrosis, a condition that causes excess underarm sweating. In a clinical study of 322 patients, the majority of respondents reduced or eliminated hyperhidrosis symptoms thanks to Botox® injections.
- Facial Paralysis and Synkinesis: Facial paralysis and synkinesis affect facial symmetry, as well as make it virtually impossible for individuals to produce natural facial expressions. With Botox®, men can stop unwanted muscle movements in the face and address facial asymmetry commonly associated with facial paralysis and synkinesis.
- Masseter Hypertrophy: Masseter hypertrophy refers to a condition that causes a jawline that is overly square or angular. Botox® treats this issue, ensuring men can reduce masseter jaw muscle activity and improve facial symmetry.
Expect the demand for male Botox® to increase in the years to come, too. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) reported Botox® for men quadrupled in popularity between 2000 and 2017. As men search for ways to quickly and safely improve their facial appearance without surgery, the demand for male Botox® will likely increase.
Are You a Good Candidate for Male Botox®?
Male Botox® offers lots of benefits, but the procedure is not intended for all men, at all times. Generally, men who are dealing with moderate to severe facial wrinkles and are in good health qualify for Botox® injections. On the other hand, men who are dealing with any of the following issues may be ineligible for Botox®:
- Is allergic to any Botox® ingredients
- Has a skin infection at a Botox® injection site
- Is dealing with a muscle or nerve condition
- Has a severe illness or infection
A man who wants to find out if he is eligible for Botox® should meet with a facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon. At this time, the surgeon evaluates a patient and determines if he is a good candidate for male Botox®. If this patient does not qualify for male Botox®, the surgeon can then provide alternative facial rejuvenation treatment options.
What Should You Expect During Male Botox® Recovery?
When it comes to male Botox® recovery, it is usually a good idea to be cautious. Fortunately, a facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon provides male Botox® recovery instructions to ensure his or her patient can maximize the treatment’s benefits.
Oftentimes, male Botox® patients need to wear sunscreen immediately following Botox® injections. Sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or more should be applied 20 minutes before going outside and reapplied every two hours. Also, male Botox® patients should wear a hat and clothing to cover the treatment area in the days after a Botox® procedure.
Male Botox® patients should avoid excess sun and heat until post-treatment swelling and tenderness disappears. They should avoid strenuous exercise or activity for the first few days after Botox® injections as well.
Schedule a Male Botox® Treatment Consultation with Dr. Azizzadeh Today
Dr. Babak Azizzadeh of the CENTER for Advanced Facial Plastic Surgery is a leading Beverly Hills facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon with many years of male Botox® treatment experience. He is Harvard-trained and dual board-certified in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery and head and neck surgery, and he is happy to help men revitalize their facial appearance.
Men who are considering Botox® or other facial rejuvenation procedures can meet with Dr. Azizzadeh to explore their treatment options. To schedule a facial rejuvenation treatment consultation with Dr. Azizzadeh, please call us today at 424-512-1633.