A neck lift enables an individual to enhance the appearance of the neck, jowls and submental fat. It allows a person to eliminate and smooth excess skin on the neck and creates a more define jawline.
With a neck lift, an individual can enjoy a more youthful neckline. The key issues that a neck lift can address include:
- Fat Deposits and Buildup: As an individual ages, fat may form under the chin and around the jowls. However, a neck lift enables a person to remove fat deposits and buildup.
- Skin Laxity: A neck lift helps a person minimize the appearance of sagging and drooping skin on the neck that otherwise may make a person appear older.
- Muscle Laxity: Over time, the muscles on the sides of the neck will lose their elasticity and structures. A neck lift allows a person to tighten the skin along the neck to bolster skin elasticity.
- Sub-Muscular Laxity: Tissues underneath the neck muscles may droop or sag, resulting in excess skin on the neck. A neck lift provides an effective treatment to minimize sub-muscular laxity.
To determine whether an individual is a good candidate for a neck lift, he or she should consult with an experienced facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon like Dr. Babak Azizzadeh. By doing so, a person can find out how a neck lift is performed, learn about the procedure’s benefits and much more.
Ultimately, there are many factors for an individual to consider before he or she undergoes a neck lift procedure, including:
- Self-Confidence: It is paramount for an individual to feel good about himself or herself before neck lift surgery. Although a neck lift procedure helps an individual alter his or her appearance, a person should never choose a neck lift solely to boost his or her self-confidence.
- Health: Good health is essential to undergo any cosmetic surgery. A facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon will review an individual’s health history before a neck lift and develop a treatment plan that caters to an individual’s health.
- Expectations: A neck lift has been shown to help individuals in many ways, and a facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon will help a person establish realistic expectations before the procedure. A facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon will help an individual set cosmetic and emotional expectations for a neck lift and respond to his or her surgery concerns and questions prior to treatment.
Furthermore, a facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon may use one of the following neck lift techniques:
- Skin-SMAS-Platysma Lift: Involves lifting and tightening skin on the neck and throat to provide a more toned appearance.
- Platysmaplasty: Tightens the platysma muscles, i.e. the underlying muscles in the neck, to reduce the appearance of bands in the neck.
Each neck lift surgery is different, and a consultation with a facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon will help an individual determine whether the procedure is the right choice. A consultation will enable a person to learn about all aspects of neck lift surgery and ensure that the procedure can help this individual achieve his or her desired results.